Forty Years of Church History
Calvary Community Church had its earliest beginnings in 1975 as a Sunday School Ministry started by Bishop Charles A. Sims at the Countrybrook (formerly known as Oxford Square) clubhouse. Bishop and First Lady Jane Sims, and daughter Rachel had recently moved to Columbus from Indianapolis.
As the Sims family commuted on Sundays to Grace Apostolic Church in Indianapolis, the Lord began to burden Bishop Sims about the children at the apartment complex. As the burden increased and with the leading of the Lord, a radio ministry, Boy Scout program, and Sunday School Ministry, held early on Sunday morning, began with about eight children.
By September of 1975, God opened another door. The small Sunday School and Boy Scout program moved from the apartment complex into a room rented in the basement of the Unitarian Universalist Church building at 1031 Chestnut Street.
Now known as Calvary Pentecostal Fellowship, services ex-panded to include Sunday night worship and Wednesday Bible Study. At that time, the main sanctuary was being used for a gymnastics studio and Pastor Sims served as the building's janitor in exchange for the use of a room and a small area in the basement. In March of 1976, many souls came to the Lord and were baptized in the name of Jesus and filled with the Holy Ghost. With the rapid increase in membership, Calvary Pentecostal Fellowship became known as Calvary Pentecostal Church.
Bishop Sims, led by the Lord, approached the Unitarian congregation in March of 1978 about purchasing the building at 1031 Chestnut Street. Initially with no money in hand and three-month's time to work, the transaction of purchasing the building was finalized on July 28, 1978. Calvary's members marched into their new church home the first Sunday in August, 1978. The sermon topic was "This Job Is Too Big For Us, But Just Right For God".
Since being at the present location, hundreds of souls have come unto the Lord, were baptized in Jesus' name, and filled with the Holy Ghost. In October of 1992, God blessed and the church mortgage was paid off. Calvary Pentecostal Church became Calvary Community Church of the Apostolic Faith in 1997. In September 1998, Bishop and Dr. Sims along with an excellent Bible College staff started Calvary Midwest Bible College and Theological Seminary.
God's call for "service to the nations" took Bishop Sims to many continents which include South America, Europe, Asia, and Africa. He has ministered in several countries preaching, teaching, and showing support to ministers and ministries while there. As such he has been in the following countries, France, England, Italy (2 times), Germany, Brazil, South America, South Africa, Philippines Islands (5 times) , Nigeria, West Africa (8 times), Liberia, West Africa, and Cameroon, Africa.
He was elevated to the position of the Diocesan of The Cameroon, Africa District in 2002. He then served as the Diocesan of the Western Nigerian District of the Pentecostal Assemblies of the World, Inc. until 2012. Currently, he is the Diocesan of the 4th Episcopal District of the P.A.W., the Indiana (ABSA) Council.
God has commissioned Bishop Sims, First Lady Sims, Pastor, and the entire Calvary Community Family to go forth into all the world.
Leviticus 5:13 (KJV)
And the priest shall make an atonement for him as touching his sin that he hath sinned in one of these, and it shall be forgiven him: and [the remnant] shall be the priest's, as a meat offering.
Click here to read more!